Initially written in Instagram on 12/30/2018
As we close out 2018, I have a question to ask: What were your top game changers of the year? I have 7 things that literally changed my life or understanding of life in 2018. Here they are:
- Peloton — This bike and program motivated me to work out again, bringing solid, inspiring workouts with amazing trainers into my everyday life.
- Giving up sugar and processed carbohydrates — As an athlete and as a physician I’m always working to get the most out of my body. I discovered that giving up sugar the equivalent of adding an energy/focus pill, both on and off the bike. For more about this lifestyle, check out Virta Health. I’m one of their athletes.
- The ONE Thing, by Gary Keller — It was a book I needed to read at the time, about defining one’s goals and asking the simple question: What is the one thing I can do right now (or this week/this month/etc) to get closer to my goal.
- My Marmot tent — Buying a tent and going up to Breckenridge to live off the grid for several days gave me a new love for Colorado. This was a much needed reset button in the late summer, and later on in Crested Butte. I’ll be camping a lot more In 2019.
- Deleting my social media account — I went off social media in September, leading up to CHEST, and was in my most productive state. It taught me the importance of not being chained to social media. I learned that for me social media addiction fuels food addictive behaviors as well (and both are procrastination techniques when I have more than enough work to do). 6. The Harbor/UCLA Wasserman CPET Course — If you’re into exercise physiology, take this course. It gave me a tool in my toolkit that changed how I diagnose and treat patients.
- Learning how to prep clinic notes in our electronic medical record system. This one isn’t really generalizable, but it was a game changer I learned 1.5 years into working in the clinic that has helped me be more efficient in my prep.
Did you have any game changers? If so, what were they? If you want to share, feel free to share below. #2018gamechangers